A widely-anthologized writer and educator, Jen Cross has facilitated writing workshops for over a decade. In 2003, Jen founded Writing Ourselves Whole, an organization that offers Amherst Writers and Artists method writing workshops, creating spaces in which the true and complicated stories of the body might emerge. Jen is the author of Writing Ourselves Whole: Using the Power of Your Own Creativity to Recover and Heal from Sexual Trauma (Mango, 2017). She received her MA from Goddard College in Transformative Language Arts, and recently received her MFA in Creative Writing from San Francisco State University.
Programs and Courses
- CNS5039 - Self-Exploration: Writing Your Story (Online)
Area of Expertise
- Consciousness and Transformative Studies
- Creative Writing
- Writing as Transformative Practice
- Healing through Journaling
- Workshop Facilitation
- Writing Ourselves Whole: Using the Power of Your Own Creativity to Recover and Heal from Sexual Trauma. (Mango, 2017)
- “The Story of a Common Girl,” Under the Gum Tree, October 2017
- "Coming Home," Matador Review, Fall 2017
- "Safe," The Elephants, August 16, 2017
- “Writing Our Survival: Transformative writing for survivors and those who love them,” Survivorship Journal, Volume 19, Issue 2, Summer 2014.
- “Sisters: A Deology,” The Healing Art of Writing 2010, University of California Press, 2011.
- Editor of Survivorship Journal, Volume 16, Issue 2, Summer 2010
- “Communities of scars” (review of Live Through This, Essence and Artifice, and Scars Tell Stories). make/shift: feminisms in motion, issue 4, Fall/Winter 2008.
- "Surface Tensions," Nobody Passes: Rejecting the rules of gender and conformity, Seal Press, 2006.
Credentials & Accolades
San Francisco State University, MFA in Creative Writing, 2018
Goddard College, MA in Transformative Language Arts, 2003
Amherst Writers and Artists, Amherst, MA Workshop Facilitator Certification I, 2001
Amherst Writers and Artists, Amherst, MA Workshop Facilitator Certification II, 2002
Dartmouth College, BA, Cognitive Science, 1996