The Fundraising Academy at John F. Kennedy University was created in 2018 through a partnership between the Sanford Institute of Philanthropy and local institutional partners. This intensive training program offers professional development through an 80-hour certificate program that spans a period of over six months.
In this cohort, participants will:
- Learn from world-class leaders in the nonprofit sector
- Collaborate with other nonprofit professionals
- Expand their networks of colleagues and nonprofit organizations
- Share their personal challenges and triumphs with a like-minded group of peers
- Develop the fundraising skills needed to succeed in today’s competitive nonprofit markets and challenging fiscal reality
Leading-Edge Fundraising Techniques
The Fundraising Academy offers a comprehensive curriculum of fundraising training courses designed to enhance fundraising capabilities for nonprofit leaders interested in or currently working in fundraising and/or development roles.
Participants learn to apply the latest in nonprofit fundraising principles to increase their capacity to:
- Strategically identify funding opportunities
- Execute cause selling and other relationship-based, donor-centric techniques
- Secure, cultivate and steward major gifts
- Assist donors with their planned giving and long-term legacy efforts
- Utilize state of the art tools and resources
These goals are accomplished through over 30 nonprofit training courses, which introduce participants to the advantages of using technology, marketing and social media strategies, innovative and practical business applications, and more.
Real-World Instruction from Nonprofit Leaders
All Fundraising Academy classes are led by nonprofit leaders with extensive experience in successful fundraising. The curriculum combines the best of nonprofit and business principles to address the needs of fundraising in today’s society, making it ideal for those seeking dynamic approaches to fundraising, additional opportunities for networking, and proven techniques designed to contribute to the success of their organizations.
Fundraising Academy 2017-18 Planned Schedule
SESSION 1: Basics in Fundraising / March 29-30, 2018
SESSION 2: Cause Selling & Social Skills / May 31-June 1, 2018
SESSION 3: Major Gifts / August 2-3, 2018
SESSION 4: Planned Giving / September 20-21, 2018
GRADUATION: October 23, 2018
Fundraising Skills for Today’s 21st Century Nonprofit Leaders
To develop world-class fundraising skills, participants engage in the following skill-building exercises:
- Evaluate the state of the current nonprofit environment as it pertains to opportunities and gaps in the areas of development
- Examine basic principles of fundraising while considering ethical and organizational factors
- Analyze negotiating and social selling styles in order to evaluate their situational effectiveness
- Articulate multiple approaches to development strategies designed to address complex donor needs
- Practice “making the ask” using cause selling techniques
- Utilize emerging technology, presentation skills and communication in face-to-face, alternative, and virtual environments
- Compare and contrast strategies of soliciting major gifts and planned giving
- Identify the needs and resources associated with the financial and ethical requirements of Fundraising
- Develop professional skills that enhance opportunities and increase possible vehicles for fundraising
A Blueprint for More Effective Fundraising
The Fundraising Academy divides its coursework into four distinct sessions – each tailored to a different aspect of fundraising.
01 Basics of Fundraising
02 Cause Selling
03 Major Gifts
04 Planned Giving
Put Your Passion Into Practice!
Enrollment is now open for the 2017-18 Fundraising Academy Certificate Program.