JFK University’s Graduate Certificate in Health Coaching builds on over thirty-five years of success in our Masters of Arts in Health Education Program to provide health professionals seeking to make an important difference in the lives of others with the tools they need to inspire their clients to achieve transformative change.
What is a Health Coach?
Individuals and organizations alike increasingly are turning to the evidence-based field of health coaching to address a glaring need in our current health-care system. Properly trained health coaches help clients to bridge the gap between a doctor's advice and lifelong change. A health coach partners with clients in a holistic and creative process that inspires them to maximize their well-being.
Why JFK University’s Graduate Certificate in Health Coaching?
By integrating evidence-based coaching techniques with a holistic approach to health that incorporates the mind, body, spirit, and community, JFK University’s Graduate Certificate in Health Coaching trains its certificate holders to create a collaborative partnership that supports the client’s health and well-being. Certificate holders learn how to:
- Hold space for self-discovery
- Encourage self-efficacy
- Help clients empower themselves
- Facilitate change
- Blend their health expertise with respect for the client’s autonomy and authentic process
- Hold clients accountable with respectful and non-judgmental coaching tools
Unlike other programs, JFK University’s Graduate Certificate in Health Coaching draws from our Health Education Department’s decades of experience conducting our Master of Arts in Health Education program, while also benefitting from the cross-disciplinary insights and opportunities made possible by the program’s inclusion within our wider university.
Program Learning Outcomes
A student completing the Graduate Certificate in Health Coaching at JFKU will be able to:
- Demonstrate mastery of the coaching competencies as defined by the International Coach Federation and International Consortium for Health and Wellness Coaching
- Facilitate health-promoting changes in alignment with the values and objectives of the client
- Utilize change theory and holistic health principles to support the coaching relationship
- Appropriately blend coaching skills and the coach’s area of expertise within the health professions in order to serve the client’s interest
- Demonstrate a commitment to the highest standards of professionalism and ethical conduct of coaches
- Effectively practice with an awareness of a multicultural and diverse community
There are two paths to obtaining the Graduate Certificate in Health Coaching. First, students enrolled in the Master’s in Health Education program may embed the certificate within their Master’s degree, and earn both the MA and the certificate within the same time frame and same number of units. Second, students with at least a bachelor’s degree may enroll in the certificate program without pursuing the entire Master’s degree. To learn more about the individual benefits of each track and for assistance determining which track is right for you, please contact your advisor.
There are two undergraduate prerequisites, which may be taken at any accredited college or university, including community colleges and online institutions:
- Anatomy & Physiology or the equivalent
- Introduction to Health Education, Behavioral Psychology, Behavioral Health, or the equivalent.
Prerequisites may be waived on a case-by-case basis by decision of the Program Chair, especially in instances where the individual has already worked extensively in a health-related field.
The Certificate comprises 10 units at the graduate level. It is designed to be completed in a minimum of nine months (three quarters).
Certificate Courses (Number of Units Shown in Parentheses):
- Students in the MA degree program already take all courses marked with an asterisk (*).
- Students in the MA degree program may substitute core courses from that degree for courses marked with a double asterisk (**).
HHE5428 Fundamentals of Coaching* (1)
HHE5429 Coaching Tools & Techniques* (1)
HHE5430 Coaching Practicum A* (1)
HHE5431 Coaching for Health & Wellbeing* (1)
HHE5432 Coaching Practicum B (1)
HHE5451 Mind Body Connection for Health Coaches** (2)
HHE5452 Change Theory for Coaches** (1)
HHE5453 Weight and Body Image for Health Coaches (1)
HHE5454 Holistic Stress Management for Health Coaches** (1)
Total Units Required: 10