Dr. Andrea Luoma
- Dr. Andrea Luoma
- Program Chair
John F. Kennedy University
Dr. Andrea Luoma has a wide range of corporate experience with several multinational companies, including Microsoft, Honeywell, Westinghouse, Children’s Hospital, Treetop Inc. and the South African Institute for Drug Free Sport. In addition she was an event and meeting manager in the professional development sector of higher education.
Dr. Luoma’s academic experience has been gained in large public, large and small private, junior college, and in the international settings of Nairobi, Kenya; Sydney, Australia; and Bulle, Switzerland. Her teaching also extends into the industry realm through certificate programs of professional development. She is a curriculum development expert, writing event and meeting programs of study for classroom, online and professional development delivery, as well as hospitality courses and programs at six higher education institutions, some in a principal consulting role.
Academic experience has been gained at:
- Glion Institute of Higher Education, Bulle, Switzerland, teaching in the Hospitality focused MBA
- San Diego Mesa College, San Diego, California, teaching Associate’s level
- George Washington University, Washington D.C., teaching Master’s level in Event Management
- United States International University, Nairobi, Kenya, teaching upper-level Bachelor’s
- International College of Management, Sydney, Australia, teaching all levels of Bachelor’s
- Alliant International University, San Diego, California, teaching MBA and Bachelor’s level
- Washington State University, Pullman, Washington, teaching upper-level Bachelor’s
Dr. Luoma's primary teaching areas include: leadership, management, organizational behavior, cross-cultural management, ethics, organizational communication, hospitality and tourism, event and meeting management, and career development.
Extensive outreach and industry interactions have also been highlights in Dr. Luoma’s career including experiential opportunities for students to work with Marriott International during the 2002 Salt Lake City, Winter Olympics, and at the largest corporate catered event in the United States, the US Open Golf Tournament. Successful partnerships have been built with companies including: Aramark Corporation, Marriott International, Starwood Hotels and Resorts Worldwide, and Hilton Hotels and Resorts.