COR1100 Effective College English I
Emphasizes effective essay-writing techniques for college-level coursework. The emphases in COR1100 include cohesive essay structure, revising and editing strategies, literary analysis, illustration by example, comparison/contrast, source incorporation, appropriation/citation conventions, and the conventions of Standard Written English.
Upon completion of this course a student will be able to:
- Write on a focused topic.
- Use effective revising and editing strategies in revising one’s own work and the work of peers.
- Write clear, effective sentences in accordance with the conventions of Standard English and college-level academic writing.
- Identify main idea and themes in reading.
- Identify key words for use as supporting evidence.
- Critically analyze literary material for incorporation.
- Paraphrase and summarize source language.
- Generate unified and coherent formal essays.
- Develop paragraphs with clear topic sentences, supportive examples and evidence, and concluding sentences.
- Write clear thesis statements, supportive body paragraphs, introductions and conclusions.
- Develop effective introductions and conclusions using appropriate strategies, such as anecdote, questioning, framing, and quotation.
- Incorporate source material into sentences in accordance with the conventions of textual appropriation and citation.