The Certificate in Human Resources program is designed to prepare students for a career in the human resource field. Students who currently work in this field as well as students who aspire to a career in this field will develop the knowledge and skills needed in today’s challenging business environment.
This certificate will provide students with a strong foundation in human resources and the ability to lead the human resource function in not for profit organizations, for profit organizations, government agencies, as well as small businesses.
Gainful Employment Information
For information about certificate program costs, financing option, student success/completion rates, and job opportunities related to this program, click here.
Program Learning Outcomes
At the completion of this certificate program, students will be able to:
- Describe how human resources works as an integrated system within an organization
- List and explain federal and California employment laws
- Describe and manage the processes of recruitment, training, and retention in an organization
- Demonstrate an understanding of the components of compensation and benefits, including how they are managed in an organization
- Produce a final Capstone project incorporating the learning from the certificate course work.
To be admitted to the certificate program, applicants must have the equivalent of 45 quarter units of prior transferable lower division units (as noted below in Degree Requirements) from an approved institution.
Lower Division General Education Breadth Requirements (45 units)
COMPOSITION Composition/Critical Thinking and Writing (9)
HUMANITIES Must have completed at least one 3-unit course in two areas (12)
NATURAL SCIENCE (9)
SOCIAL SCIENCE Must have completed at least one 3 unit course in two areas (12)
Required Certificate Courses (27 units)
BUS3032 Human Resource Management (4 units)
BUS4025 Compensation and Benefits (3 units)
PLS3038 Employment Law (4 units)
BUS4030 California Employment Law (3 units)
PYC4302 Psychology of Organizations (4 units)
BUS4020 Recruitment, Training, and Retention (3 units)
BUS4996 Capstone 1 (3 units)
BUS4997 Capstone 2 (3 units)